Buildings in nine areas of Birmingham could see facelifts as part of a façade improvement pilot program launched by the City of Birmingham.
The program will enhance the façade of buildings in the areas to increase property values and marketability of space inside the buildings.
The pilot program provides $20 per square foot, up to $50,000. Applicants must provide a match of at least 20% of the amount awarded, and the match must be spent on the façade improvement pilot program.
“This is another tool for the city to support our priority of neighborhood revitalization,” Mayor Randall Woodfin said. “Blight removal is the first step in revitalization. Providing resources for commercial property owners creates new opportunities to redevelop our business districts.”
Funding through the program is a loan that is forgiven over a 5-year period, with no payments required if the property continues to be maintained within the program requirements. Commercial and mixed commercial/residential locations with façades visible from the street are eligible. New construction is not eligible.
Nine priority development areas have been identified, although buildings outside of these areas may be considered if funding is available. The priority areas are:
- Ensley Commercial Business District
- Fourth Avenue Business District
- North Birmingham Commercial District
- Eighth Avenue Business District
- Lomb-Tuscaloosa Avenue Commercial District
- Downtown West Commercial District
- Portions of the Downtown Northwest Commercial District
- Portions of Woodlawn Commercial District
- Portions of East Lake Commercial District
Those interested in applying for the program can call 205-254-2309.