Top Headlines: Count Shows Amazon Has Beaten Union Efforts; Oak Street Health Coming to Alabama

Count shows Amazon has beaten union effort
Amazon workers have voted not to unionize in Bessemer, according to vote tallies from the election this morning. By mid-morning, the no votes had reached nearly 1,800, compared to 738 in favor of the union. That no total is more than half of the 3,215 ballots received. The Retail, Wholesale & Department Store Union is calling for an investigation into Amazon’s conduct during the union drive. –

Oak Street Health coming to Alabama
Oak Street Health, which runs primary care centers for adults on Medicare, said Thursday it would open centers in Birmingham and Mobile. These are the group’s first two in Alabama and, along with expansion into Kentucky, will increase the number of states with Oak Street Health centers to 16. – Odessa American

Alabama State will test Hyundai hydrogen fuel sell SUV
Hyundai Motor Manufacturing Alabama will lend one of the world’s first hydrogen fuel cell SUVs to Alabama State University for an evaluation period. The Hyundai NEXO is the first hydrogen fuel cell SUV available for commercial sale in the world. The NEXO is not assembled at Hyundai’s Montgomery plant, but HMMA has two of the vehicles available as part of a ride-and-drive program.  – Alabama NewsCenter

Alabama’s 5th veterans home will be built in Enterprise
A $39 million federal grant will cover 65% of the cost of a new veterans home in Enterprise. The remaining 35% of the cost of the 182,000-square-foot home, which will be the fifth veterans home in Alabama, will be covered by the Alabama Department of Veterans Affairs. The $60 million facility will provide long-term care to veterans and house 175 residents. – Alabama News Network

New York group buys Hoover apartment complex
Addison Partners, based in New York, has purchased the 240-unit Elevation Hoover apartment complex for $20.7 million. Addison Partners says it plans to update the complex, built in 1972. – Patch

- Sponsor -

The latest Alabama business news delivered to your inbox