Cullman Regional Medical Center
Cullman Regional is a 150-bed hospital and health system serving a six-county area in north Alabama. It is the largest employer in Cullman County, with more than 1,400 employees.
With a focus on delivering high quality care, investing in facilities and technology and recruiting skilled physicians, Cullman Regional has seen significant growth in hospital services and patients served. Recently, the hospital:
- Earned Top 10% Performance recognition by CMS for several quality metrics including sepsis early management. The hospital also earned multiple performance and compliance rankings well above national and state benchmarks.
- Completed a major expansion of its emergency department, increasing capacity by 80% and adding a dedicated behavioral health treatment area.
- Made significant investments in its imaging capabilities by adding new CT and MRI equipment.
- Began construction on a 30-bed tower expansion, which will add more medical-surgical beds and double the size of the critical care unit.
- Opened two new surgery centers, one for orthopedics and spine surgery and the other for bariatrics.
- Opened a health park in neighboring Hartselle. Services include imaging, urgent care and a physician specialist clinic.
- Became the first hospital in the Southeast to use BrainScope technology for head injury assessment in the ER.
- Added physician specialties in neurology, spine surgery, bariatric surgery, endocrinology, rheumatology and psychiatry.
Walker Baptist Medical Center
Walker Baptist Medical Center has approximately 600 employees and is one of the largest employers in Walker County. The acute care hospital, located in Jasper, has 267 beds and has served the community for more than 40 years. It is a part of Brookwood Baptist Health.
The hospital offers a full range of services including quick response times for patients with chest pain or stroke symptoms; cardiology; orthopedics, including rehabilitation; psychiatric care; urology; and detox therapy.
The hospital has made several major capital improvements in the last two years, including surgical services, ventilators, ICU monitors, cath lab updates, telemetry, brain lab, spine equipment, and labor and delivery equipment. The hospital is exploring a possible operating room expansion.
Other new services at the hospital include gastric neuro-stimulation, a 3D mammography suite installed in 2021, and new surgeries such as bariatric weight loss surgery, spine surgery and orthopedic surgery.
Lakeland Community Hospital
Lakeland Community Hospital in Haleyville, a major employer and sole health care provider in Winston County, has 49 beds. It holds a five-star rating from the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services on its quality outcomes.
The hospital has a 24-hour emergency room and provides a comprehensive range of diagnostic services, along with acute care, emergency, medical specialties, cardiopulmonary, behavioral health, rehab and a wide range of community support services. The hospital has a swing bed program, a behavioral senior care inpatient program, home health, pediatric and family medicine clinics.
Recently the hospital purchased a new 80-slice CT scanner. In August, Jennifer Young, the hospital’s former chief operating officer was named chief executive officer. The hospital is owned by the Haleyville and Winston County Hospital Authority.
This article appeared in the November 2022 issue of Business Alabama.